Strip or not…?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  defyadmin 1 year, 3 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Rob Carroll

Constructed deck last summer, waited only about 3 months and treated it with Defy extreme in Butternut. Shoveled deck off with plastic shovel during winter months. Most of original coat came off over the winter Do not consider this a fault of the stain but rather not letting the wood weather. Still have enough to retain, but will I need to strip entire deck? Most of original coat came off…

#542 Reply

defyadmin
    Keymaster

Rob, what type of wood are you applying this to? For pressure treated, Extreme Wood Stain is appropriate. If it’s cedar, redwood, ipe, or mahogany, Deck Stain for Hardwoods is the best stain as it penetrates better into hard or oily wood types. Peeling is usually related to over-application or the stain not adhering/penetrating properly. If you want the deck to have an even color, then stripping will be necessary. Otherwise, you may be able to just clean and brighten it. Next time, make sure you only apply as much as the wood can absorb. Put 2 wet-on-wet coats, waiting approximately 20 minutes between coats. Also, don’t apply in direct sunlight. This causes the first coat to dry too quickly, and prevents the 2nd coat from soaking in.

#599 Reply

Rob Carroll

I will strip it then It was Doug Fir but it was my fault for not letting it weather properly, not a fault of the product…

#786 Reply

Kyle

I used defy butternut 1.5 years after new. It has been 2 years and I cleaned the deck and brightened. I still noticed a lot of while areas (from knots mainly but also other areas), so I sanded down w/ 60grit orbital. So now it looks very light where I sanded (mainly edges and knots) and darker where I lightly sanded over trying to blend but didn’t sand as deeply. What can I do to fix this inconsistent look now? Worried the next semi-transparent won’t cover it well enough. Do I need to brighten again to fix this? Do I need to strip it? Can I just stain? I’m a little nervous using the defy again because first time I did everything exactly as instructed but still got many white areas w/in 6 months. But could just be new wood??? Please advise if I can just coat w/ defy at this point or do I need to further sand or brighten or reclean or strip?! Thanks! I can send a pic as well.

#787 Reply

Kyle

Sorry, first line while should be “white” spots. I assume sap??

#788 Reply

Kyle

Cleaned and sanded - do I need to strip it before adding defy?

#789 Reply

Kyle

https://goo.gl/photos/FxKn1H4bkb8SQ9eM9
    The first close ups-are dry after sanding 60grit high spots and lightly everywhere else. After I hosed off the deck I got it looks worse (not completely dry yet) so no better pics til tomorrow. So, will I see these light and dark areas once adding another layer (2 wet on wet) of butternut? Or do you recommend stripping? brightener?
    Thanks, kyle

#802 Reply

defyadmin
    Keymaster

Kyle, if you simply recoat, you’ll probably notice a difference between the areas that have been sanded lightly and the areas that you sanded more aggressively. Using the Wood Cleaner and Brightener should help even things out. Stain Stripper is the more thorough option and combined with a power washer, will bring the wood back to its bare, natural state. Just make sure you use the Brightener after the Stain Stripper as the wood will need to be neutralized.

You have a lot of knots in your wood and these areas will always be somewhat of a problem as they don’t accept stain very well. The only way to completely avoid this is to use a solid stain that will completely cover them up. The issue with using solid stains on horizontal surfaces is that as they weather, they typically peel.

#818 Reply

Kyle

I added new photos to the link https://goo.gl/photos/FxKn1H4bkb8SQ9eM9.
    The last shown wet looking shot is the morning after I stripped with defy (following directions), and brightened with Defy product, but it didn’t seem to do that great of a job. I even scrubbed some and when the first area wasn’t reacting well leaving on around 15-20 min, I left on longer 25+ (bottle recs 15-25). I had some Jomax I bought when I happened to be at Lowes prior to going out to pick up the Defy stripper when reading the forum recs. It seemed to do a better job (see last photos). This was done yesterday and I have not yet brightened. Anyway, it still shows some whiteness and some dark (I assume stain) in the middles of the boards. I’m getting pretty frustrated. I really don’t want to sand it all down heavy after sanding once already, but seems like might be my best options. Or do I need to keep stripping? Or any way brightening and staining will work at this point. Please recommend. Does what you see look familiar? And I read that I need to brighten w/in 24 hrs of stripping. Is that right? What if I don’t (if I need to sand down I assume brightening is a waste of time.) Thanks!

#819 Reply

Kyle

Looking at it, do you think it’s OK to stain if I go w/ the same butternut (I’m concerned if I go to a lighter like I wanted, the dark will show through). Or do you think regardless of what I do (more stripping or sand) I’m going to have problems w/ white residue again soon because of the knots and best would be to just go w/ a solid stain?

#821 Reply

defyadmin
    Keymaster

Kyle, I hate to recommend a solid stain on horizontal surfaces as in a year or two you could be facing an even bigger nightmare with trying to remove a solid stain that’s peeling, which is much more difficult than removing a semi-transparent or clear. At the same time I can’t say for sure that you won’t have issues with the knots again. It’s really a judgement call on your part. If you go with DEFY, the worst case scenario is you have to apply maintenance coats more often. Another option is to go with a clear finish, but keep in mind you’ll need to do maintenance coats approximately every 1-2 years.

#822 Reply

Kyle

1) I am fine with defy maintenance coats more often, as long as I can reapply maintenance coats such that I don’t have to strip/sand again. Do you think it’s ready to do that now looking that the last photos https://goo.gl/photos/FxKn1H4bkb8SQ9eM9 or do I need so a) do further stripping or b) sand out all the dark and white spots? Your specific guidance would help greatly.

2) If I go with a clear vs defy, does this change any of the prep or have a less likelihood of problems w/ white residue (or not as visible so can just coat over instead of re-stripping/sanding?

#830 Reply

defyadmin
    Keymaster

Kyle, I would recommend at least using the Wood Brightener. As a result of sanding the deck, there are now areas of sawdust/wood particles in the pores of the wood. If you stain right now, this could result in an uneven appearance. Apply the Brightener, then rinse it off and allow the deck to dry out. I would also do a water test – put 1 or 2 drops of water on the wood and see how long it takes to soak in. If it absorbs within a second or two, it’s ready. If it just lays on the surface for 10 seconds or longer, then the stain isn’t going to absorb properly. If you use the clear, the prep is still the same. The clear is not going to change the look of the wood, so whatever it looks like now is what it will look like after the clear is applied. If you use a semi-transparent, you shouldn’t have to sand/strip. As the wood starts to show signs of weathering, simply apply a maintenance coat on top of the existing coat.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
Reply To: Strip or not…?
Your information: